Thursday, January 14, 2016

14 Day Sugar Detox


How Sweet it is!
Well, onto another year of attempting to get through 2 weeks sugar free.  This year I have allowed myself fruits though, unlike the last.  It makes it easy to focus on having real, whole fresh foods when you attempt to break the cycle of carb and sugar cravings.   A key component to breaking that sugar cycle and gravitating towards those quickly absorbed sugars is ensuring that you get at least 8 hours sleep.  That's part of the problem.  I don't sleep enough and then crave sugary snacks and caffeine is ginormous amounts.  How many of you are the same.

Carry a snack pack with a supply of nuts, seeds, jerky, etc.  You never know when you'll be in a spot where you are unable to access a healthy food choice, so be prepared.  I hit this in day 2 and wasn't prepared.  I was lucky and kept the sugar demon at bay as I was able to get pulled pork and placed it between tomato slices.  There was literally nothing else that fit the bill, so if you're attempting this,  be prepared if you want to be successful.

I think the most difficult part was the absence of wine.  For those that know me, you can recognize the difficulty I endured.  The fact that alcoholic drinks are full of empty calories and have no nutritional value is bad news for the waste line - otherwise known as my sugar sack.  One drink may have the recommended daily intake of sugar.  If you're concerned about alcohol and the effects on blood sugar, try alternating each drink with a glass of water.  It will help keep you hydrated and clear headed.  This is always my goal when I start out.

Now that my diet is in check, its time to start focusing on some serious training as there is a new race added to the agenda.  Cornel and I are doing the 70k Paris to Ancaster bike race.

Happy Trails My Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment